Part I: Questions (25%)
- (5 points) What exactly does formatting accomplish in terms of adding a disk in Debian/Linux? Explain.
- (5 points) Why does one need to set permissions after installing applications in UNIX? Explain.
- (5 points) Describe the need to run configuration scripts during the software installation process for source installations. Explain.
- (5 points) Provide two reasons that installing software (either through source or binary) in UNIX can be difficult. Explain.
- (5 points) The primary difference between ext2 and ext3 is the journaling feature. What is it? What does it provide? (IE, why would anyone want to use it?) Explain.
Part II: Commands (75%)
Instructions: Please simply write the command(s) which perform the following tasks in Debian (your VM) in as few commands as possible and turn in via blackboard by the due date. Note: Bash will be assumed, unless indicated. Only write the commands to perform the given work (PLEASE no output!) Note: credit will only be given for commands we’ve discussed and no use of adduser is permitted.
- (50 points) Suppose you had a 100MB drive rusting away in your backyard and you were managing your server and a user (we’ll call it student) starting causing all sorts of problems and you decided to use that 100MB drive to put student’s home directory on it (creates some isolation for student). How would you do it? Note: You will need to create a 100MB drive in Virtual Box and add it to the virtual machine and show all commands. Note: this drive should be mounted at boot. For all of the interactive commands, such as creating and adding the drive to the virtual machine, just describe the process in enough detail for a newbie to follow. For the non-interactive commands, please just list the command.
- (10 points) Install the java compiler on the machine and ensure that all users can run the command using apt-get. Show all commands and steps in this process in enough detail for a newbie to follow.
- (10 points) At the moment, only root can run the shutdown command, create a group which can run the shutdown command and set student to that group (IE allow student to shutdown the computer using the shutdown command through adding student to a group)
- (5 points) Provide a command which shows the size of the entire /home/student directory.